Monday, December 8, 2014

Bust or Broadway?? Wait, that's not it...

    Watching the series Broadway or Bust was a very educational experience for the class as a whole. We were able to see a prolonged audition process, and see critiques and advice we could apply to our own future auditions.  Everybody involved was a professional, many worked at nyu or had been involved with broadway productions. This was serious - more serious than anything we had ever experienced before, and watching it was a great way to see what else we could be exposed too.

    I personally found that I could relate to a lot of the people in the show. I found that i couldn’t entirely relate to just one character. In some ways, I could relate to Evan - around showtime, or even before auditions, I get nervous - before, I think i might be ready, but the bad stuff comes right before showtime. That has been getting better with the more shows I do, but I still get very nervous before a big audition. On the other hand, unlike Evan, my first thought after an audition isn’t about how well I did, if anything it’s the opposite. I feel like I did terribly, and have always been afraid if I think about it the other way I might get a worse part, or not one at all. In other ways, I can relate to Josh. He seemed like the only one who really understood the pressure, why the choreographer was being so hard on them. Josh saw the stress and the high expectations and tried as hard as he could to meet them, which payed off in the end. However, he didn't really show much improvement - he had his song from the start and he went with it, which isn't something I consider relatable.

          The actor's auditions taught me a lot I could later apply to my own peice. For starters, I saw what worked, and what didn't stand out to the judges. I also learned that a good audition is one that stands out to the judges - they remembered the names of some, the ones they put in the finals, but anybody else was "song girl/boy". However, they remembered Evan, Josh, and other talented people. This can be applied in my own peice by trying as hard as I can to be unique, while still being the character I am portraying.

          In addition, I saw how difficult life can be on Broadway - rehearsal after rehearsal, non stop singing and dancing, and a lot of stress. Many, many people broke down during the long dance practices and other situations. Although I'm still not sure if I want to be on Broadway or not, I do know that if I am going to go into the arts I should expect stress levels like these - and I have to be ready to not break down. Watching how others just pushed through it helped me to understand how to cope with these issues, so I can be better prepared for the future.

         Overall, it was an interesting show that helped us all with many issues, and it's something I would definitely recommend to people new in the show business, or anybody who's just interested in that kind of thing!


No comments:

Post a Comment