Friday, November 21, 2014

Aida and the Audition

For our next and (I believe) final project, we are each doing an audition piece. This can be a song, a monologue, or a choreographed dance. Although most of us are doing a song from a musical, there is somebody doing a monologue and another doing a dance. This gives us an opportunity to showcase our strengths, because we have a wide range of choices.
I need to work on my vocal range and also my pitch. If I’m in the right mood, and feel the right way, I can have a wide range, able to sing soprano to tenor if needed. But there are often, especially more recently, times where my voice isn’t at its strongest. This is probably due to stress, lack of my lessons, and also breathing issues. Since I haven’t been to a lesson in a few months, I have stopped really working on my voice. In CATS, we don’t warm up with air exercises and using the diaphragm like I once did, and I have a harder time using my chest voice over my head or throat voice. (When I can use my chest voice, I can sing a lot better than when I’m not). I also need to work on pitch. I know that I have a tendency to sink below the pitch, usually a little flat. I am working on singing clearer and higher to avoid that happening.
My strengths lie in the alto range. When it comes to singing lower notes, I am stronger and can therefore demonstrate that strength. As an actress, I have to tell the story with my movements, and tell the audience a story with my movement and words.
I would like to do a song from Aida. The music for Aida was written by Elton John, so there is rock influence along with musical theater. I think this can show a director that I have a versatile voice, because I can sing rock, blues, jazz, and songs from musicals. This will also give me a chance to show the power in my voice - the stage presence it provides. However, since this is not a classic musical song, I will not be able to demonstrate a gentler tone of my voice - this song would not work if I was trying out for Annie. This also can show the weakness of my flexible range because it can go very high, and also quite low.
The music from Aida is a challenge. It requires extreme presence, feeling, and motivation, things I may need to work on. Nonetheless, as stated before, it will allow me to show a powerful voice and my lower range as well as some high ones.
I will need to pull of my audition piece as close to flawlessly as possible. The rock notes need to be strong, and the calmer parts still filled with emotion. I will need to leave everything i have out on the stage, to show that this is something I am dedicated to - This is to demonstrate my talents, and work on my weaknesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment