Monday, September 15, 2014

What really goes down in Acting, D period

          The first two weeks of class went by in a blur. The five of us in acting class have been having a blast, from poetry to monologues. I learned things I already know and some things I didn't, too. Mrs. Guarino taught us the importance of emotion. While I had already knew this, we all learned about analyzing your script to figure out the emotion - something I had never considered before. I had always said it as I saw fit, never was there much progress in emotion. By going through line by line and feeling what the character was feeling, we really got the progression. My directors had never before really taken the time to do that.
While the directors of the past may have not pointed out emotion, the basics like diction and projection were always on their minds. I talk fast - I know. We all do it sometimes. The basics were already known to me, but acting class is helping me to really understand the importance, especially when you see others mess it up too, and hear how bad it can sound.
While acting is about being somebody else, we learned to be ourselves too. I learned the importance of friendship, and having somebody to read a monolouge too and get feedback. We are all on different levels, yet we are all learning the same things. It is the little things like those that make not only acting but everything else done in life enjoyable.
I, as an actress, value personality. If you're not making it your own, then why are you doing it? As a kid, I grew up knowing that no matter what, you have to be true to yourself. Of course, there are the times when you lose that veiw on things. Not once have I lost it on stage. To stage is my home - in my mind, there are a thousand versions of who I can be and I can always be at least one when I'm acting. 
If you, reading this, ever want to be an actor - take a class. No matter how much you think you know, there is always room for more. The world is our stage - but this stage, is yours.
 ~ Signing off, Sam.

No comments:

Post a Comment